< link rel="DCTERMS.isreplacedby" href="http://www.manifestcontent.net/" /> Manifest Content .comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}
manifest
Side of M@


PC


M@'s Links of Interest
  • Fark
  • Universe Today
  • NRO
  • The Onion
  • Warring Factions
  • Opinion Duel
  • Deviant Art
  • Communists4Kerry
  • Hitchens Web
  • Cagle's Cartoons
  • Word Detective
  • Victor Davis Hanson
  • RatherBiased
  • RatherGate


  • Other Things M@ Likes

    Image Hosted by ImageShack.us
    Image Hosted by ImageShack.us


    M@'s Blogs of Note
  • The God of Typing
  • Michelle Malkin
  • Junkyard Blog
  • Instapundit
  • Punditchick
  • Evan Coyne Maloney
  • Protein Wisdom


  • M@ has a Blogroll



    Archives
    July 2004 August 2004 September 2004 October 2004 November 2004 December 2005



    "The slovenliness of our language makes it easier for us to have foolish thoughts" ~ George Orwell





    "An effective way to deal with predators is to taste terrible." ~ Unknown

    Listed on BlogShares




    Friday, October 15, 2004

    More armchair activism or "Saving another one from the memory hole"


    Well, I can't stop myself when I read stuff like this story at Winds of Change...Ok if you haven't been keeping up, Mark Halperin runs a good deal of ABC news, and recently issued a memo to his employees stating that they should, for the good of truth, not feel obligated to hold Kerry and Bush "equally accountable" because Bush clearly distorts the truth much more than Kerry, and besides Kerry doesn't distort to win the election. I'm not kidding, he really said that. The day before ABC's Charlie Gibson moderated the second presidential debate.

    So the story explained at Winds of Change goes on, and then ABC issues a correction (as updated at Winds of Change). The egregious misquoting of Arnold Schwarzenegger is said to be an "inadvertent" error. Ok, their error made Arnold's words go from meaning "John Kerry weaseled on several issues and sometimes Bush did too" in the last debate to "John Kerry tells the truth, but Bush doesn't". Here are the two quotes before and after:

    Before correction, as posted by ABC

    SCHWARZENEGGER SAYS BOTH BUSH AND KERRY EVASIVE IN DEBATES: "Both of them did not answer some of the questions, which I think is upsetting to me. I think it is much better to be straightforward with the people.... You know like Kerry did. Bush did the same thing in some instances, not really get into it and answer it."

    Actual quote after correcting for "inadvertent" bias

    "Both of them did not answer some of the questions, which I think is upsetting to me," Schwarzenegger told KGO radio in San Francisco. "I think it is much better to be straightforward with the people."

    "I mean if you get a question about Iran and about the nuclear power and what you are going to do in the future with this nuclear power, and you don't even answer that question, I think it's a mistake, You know like Kerry did," he continued. "Bush did the same thing in some instances, not really get into it and answer it."


    Fiiiiiiine, this kind of misunderstanding happened on "Three's Company" all the tiiiiiime! But I think since they're a "leading news network" they owe us a little more. So I wrote an email to 'em. And since they won't be reading it most likely, I satisfy myself by posting it here. And it was hard not to make it angry...so hard. But I feel a little better now:

    To whomever it may concern:

    I would like to respectfully request that you further explain the need for your correction on the quote by Arnold Schwarzenegger that I'm sure you've begun recieving e-mails about. I believe this should be done in the same forum that the error originally occurred, ie your website.

    I am prepared to listen to your explanation with a critical but fair ear the events that led to your "inadvertent" substantive misuse of ellipses, but I have to tell you I am a tad bit suspicious whether or not the word "inadvertent" is also perhaps misused. However, I feel I have the strength and integrity to influence those around me, and I would like more information from you to be able to make a fair assessment of the facts. I'm sure you're aware that this did not happen in a vaccuum. To that end, I'll admit that I'm a fairly partisan Republican, but other than as a voter in no way associated with the Bush Campaign. I'll even sign my own name at the bottom of this letter. My intent is not to throw bombs, but to document this in a do-it-yourself fashion for the admittedly small number of people who trust me and who come to my website every day.

    If you have a plausible story of how this occurred without your intent to almost completely obscure the meaning of Mr. Schwarzennegger's words then a more robust accounting of the error seems to be in order in this case. The strict standards I trust that you believe in for honest and truth demand it, in my opinion. I believe credibility is earned, and by implication so is disrespect. The short correction you posted in response frankly left me scratching my head, because I assume you value your credibility, and I felt it begged several questions that might occur to any average mind.

    Respectfully,
    M@ (email had my real name here)



    posted by M@ at 2:15 PM   0 comments links to this post

    0 Comments:

    Post a Comment

    Links to this post:

    Create a Link

    << Home



    button

    The Other Side

    Blogger Philosophy 101
    oldpeople
    Why do you have to be a nonconformist like everybody else?
    ~James Thurber

    Art & Literature Links
  • Bookslut
  • Digital Journalist
  • Artloggia
  • Getty Images
  • Musarium
  • Exquisite Corpse
  • Powell's Independent Bookstore
  • I, Orhan Veli
  • Wielding the Red Pen
  • Artcyclopedia
  • Luciferous Logolepsy
  • Wired for Books

  • Stolen Blogroll

    Escape Hatches
    Blogs For Bush



    orhan

    For Free:

    We are living for free;
    The air is for free,
    The clouds are for free.
    Hills and dales are for free;
    Rain and mud are for free;
    The outside of cars,
    The entrance to movie houses,
    The store windows are for free;
    It is not the same as bread and cheese,
    But salt water is for free;
    Freedom will cost you your life,
    But slavery is for free;
    We are living for free,
    For free.

    ~Orhan Veli~

    powered by coffee, cigarettes & this guy, who works for peanuts.

    Powered by Blogger